QUT Elite Athlete Program
In 2004 QUT signed on with the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) and the Australian Sports Commission (ASC) as an "elite athlete friendly" university to help lead the way nationally in supporting elite athletes. The Elite Athlete Program at QUT is managed by QUT Careers and Employment. QUT recognises the demand on elite athletes through training and competition, and endeavours to provide student athletes with the same opportunity to excel in their studies as normal students. Over 300 elite athletes, represented across more than 50 different sports, are currently enrolled at QUT and registered with the program.
To qualify for the Elite Athlete Program an athlete, coach or referee must be part of an Australian Sports Commission (ASC) recognised sport, which requires heavy training and competition, and meet one or more of the following criteria:
- The athlete is recognised by the AIS, QAS or Professional Player’s Association
- The athlete is a member of a national senior squad from an ACE support sport
- The athlete is in a state, national or international level squad in open or age level competition
- The athlete is in a state, national or international level development squad
- The individual is a coach or referee within state, national or international level competitions
Tip Sheet for Staff
The QUT Elite Athlete Program Guide for Academic Staff has been created to help staff dealing with elite athletes.
- How to check if the student is an elite athlete
- Where to find more information on elite athletes
- Appropriate situations for special consideration
- Eligibility criterion for an elite athlete
- How to be more involved with elite athletes
Tip Sheet for Students
We also provide an Athlete Guide to help them work through any issues and balance their sporting and university committments.
List of Elite Athletes by Faculty
To assist us in providing support to our Elite Athletes, faculty staff may have to confirm that certain students are registered with the Program. All current and eligible Elite Athletes are identified in SAMS with a comment code of ‘EA-ACTIVE’. If the comment code ‘EA-INACTIV’ is against the student, please contact us to confirm their eligibility. A list of Elite Athletes will be sent to each faculty at the start of each semester however using SAMS to identify eligible students is more appropriate as students are added throughout the semester and this data is the most reliable and up to date.
Elite Athlete Events
If you have contact with and support our Elite Athletes in an administration or academic role and would like to be invited to our two annual events, please contact email@example.com to be included in the invitations.
Jasmin Henery- Elite Athlete Program Administrator
P: (07) 3138 2649 | F: (07) 3138 2368 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org | Reception, Level 3, X Block, QUT Gardens Point Campus
Alison Thomson - Career Counsellor for Elite Athlete Program
P: (07) 3138 5098 | F: (07) 3138 2368 | E: email@example.com| Reception, Level 3, X Block QUT Gardens Point Campus